Before you begin, hit subscribe and share with a friend (:
Like Rome couldn’t be built in a day, Sloane’s community won’t be built in just one day either. But on this day, the first day, I’d love to welcome and thank you all for choosing to come by and contribute to helping build my community here, at SloaneStephens.Bulletin.com.
Since making the decision to share more of myself with the world and exercise other passions, I’ve done some serious thinking about what the whole purpose of my platform would be.
I love being an athlete and I truly believe that all that my athletic abilities have afforded me can never be understated or minimized. However, there’s so much more to me and what I’m able to bring to the world, and that starts here.
In preparing to plan out the articles I'd like to publish, I came across a blogger who shared that creating a mission statement helped her to define her space. That sounded like a great way for me to start 1. Getting my thoughts together and 2. Help you all to see what it is you will be getting from subscribing to my site. So here goes.
I’ve decided that when I sit down to produce an article, it needs to do at least one of these following things:
1. Cultivate Connections within the Community
2. Prompt Community Engagement/Discussion
6. Provide Resources and/or Tools
To ensure that I’m checking off at least one of these writing/content goals, I developed this mission statement for myself and SloaneStephens.Bulletin.com. This will ensure that the integrity of my vision stays intact.
Sloane Stephens encourages women (with an emphasis on Black women) to embrace life to its fullest by communing with one another, caring for all aspects of their well-being, sharing personal stories, being productively vocal about inequities and needs, and collaborating to overcome roadblocks and insecurities to achieve their goals.
My dream for this space is that Black women and other women of color feel at home and all women feel welcomed. I know I have a wide-range of supporters from all walks of life, and I'd love you all to take the journey with me while also understanding that by saying it's for US, Black Women, I do not mean it is not for YOU. In other words, what's good for, improves, and feeds the spirit of the Black Woman also serves the rest of the world. So please, come in.
With this mission in place, what can you expect:
1. To get to know more about me, Sloane Stephens. I’ve gone back and forth about how much of myself I want to share, with this being my first time engaging and putting so much of my personality onto the internet. I decided that I will give what I’m comfortable with for now and then allow for my community to help me figure out what they most appreciate from me in this space.
2. All things Health: Self-Care, Hair Care, Skin Care, Mental/Emotional/Physical/Nutritional Wellness. I would like to share things that can help women (which can also help or inform men) feel better about themselves, both inside and out. If that means sharing information about foods that make your skin glow, products that heal or grow your hair, weekly writing prompts that help to center/recenter you, or resources to address needs, I’m so ready to be of service to my internet community.
3. Reviews/Posts about new things to try. This includes books, tv shows, movies, restaurants, trips/travel, subscription boxes, the occasional recipe, etc. Why? Because, on one hand, I hope that by sharing my experiences, I can inspire someone else to try something new as well. On the other, I'd love to save peoples time, money, pain, and suffering. hahaha
4. Live Q&A’s. I truly look forward to engaging with my supporters more often than I’m usually able. This will allow me to engage in deeper and more meaningful ways. Some of the Q&A’s will feature guests who are experts in the areas of care that I will focus on as I am building out this platform: Heath Care, Hair Care, Skin Care, Financial Care, Mental/Physical/Emotional Care, and other areas you all may think of as we continue on.
5. The Occasional Deep Thoughts. I think it would be nice to explore the depths with people who support me. Building relationships beyond the shore here, will serve as practice for you to build beyond the shore in your real life.
6. Giveaways/Contests. Because who doesn't like some quality FREE stuff?!
7. Black Women Empowerment. I want to be loud and proud for the girls/women who look like me. There have been decades where we, Black Women with platforms, felt like by championing Black people, we'd lose other people. Nobody loses when Black Women are lifted up. We are the gift that will keep on giving, when we are poured into healthily and properly. Come empower and be empowered!
8. Pick 10: Books, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Products, etc. One of my favorite things about the internet is when people share a list of things that they enjoy. This narrows the job of finding those things out on my own.
What I won’t be blogging about:
1. DIY Handy projects. I tried this a few times and it just wasn’t my thing. That’s okay! I still love to build things, but trying to take pictures of them and put them into directions is too much of a task for your girl.
2. Politics. I have my opinions. I will continue to support the causes I care about and those in need. However, after some serious introspection I decided to leave that area of discussion and education to the experts.
3. Paid Products/Experience Posts. I can assure you that any and everything I choose to share on here, I’ve tried and truly stand behind. There will never be a time I use my platform to sell you all something that I don’t truly believe in or use.
4. Gossip/Hot Topics. Because there is already so much discussion about all of that and truthfully, there is so much more that I can contribute. This will encourage and bring so much more value to the women who choose to exist in this space with me.
Who all is welcomed to the space?
Every single body! Because although I created this space with Black women at the front of my mind, there's never been a space that was created for US that excluded others from taking part. That's what makes our people and culture so rich. We are about community, no matter how the master narrative tries to spin it. So just come be! You'll love it here. I'll love having you here.
I’m excited to see where this space goes with this mission statement in place. I already feel like I have a much clearer idea of what I’m doing and what my purpose is as a contributor. Flexibility is the name of the game. As I learn more about what you all enjoy, I will begin to build the foundation that this community will stand on.
If you’re a writer, do you have a mission statement for your blog? If you've always thought about starting a blog, but haven't; what's holding you back? What kinds of posts are you most excited to read here? What do you think of my mission statement? I’d love to hear your input.
Hey Sloane Hive,
Because I'm just entering this space, my weekly articles are currently available to any reader who visits the site. However, in the coming weeks, I’ll be launching a paid subscription opportunity with access to articles every week with other subscriber perks: giveaways, live Q&A, and subscriber submissions. I hope you will all take this journey with me. I can't wait to find out, from you all, if I'm actually good at this content stuff!